Advising Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to do if I want to change my major to Business?
Admission to the Business School is an application process in the spring semester.  Click here and then refer to the TCU Internal Transfers section for more information. Please contact the Neeley Academic Advising Center at 817-257-6772 for the policy and GPA requirements.

What are the requirements to Apply to Neeley?
Admission to the Neeley School of Business is competitive and not guaranteed. In order for a current pre-business student to be considered competitive for admission, he or she must:
1) have a 3.0 Cumulative GPA
2) attain a 2.5 GPA in lower division requirements (LDR)
3) Submit an online application, cover letter, resume, and complete an Admissions Interview
4) complete Microsoft Certification tests in Excel and PowerPoint 
5) Complete Additional Admissions Requirements 

What do I have to have completed by the end of my first year?
At the end of your first year at TCU, you are required to have completed Econ 10223, Econ 10233, Engl 10803, and Math 10283. You are also required to have a 2.5 GPA by the end of your second semester. In addition, you must complete First-Year Symposium, PowerPoint and Excel. If any of these requirements has not been met, you will not be allowed to continue as a pre-business student and must change majors.

What is the GPA requirement for the Business School?
GPA requirements

Can I take courses as Pass/No Credit?
You may take up to 6 semester hours of course work on a Pass/No Credit basis. However, lower and upper-division business courses may not be taken on a P/NC basis with the exception of ENGL 10803, ENGL 20803, MATH 10283, ECON 10223, & ECON 10233. In accordance with university policy, no course applied to a student’s major, minor or associated requirements may be taken as P/NC. You must achieve a “C-“ or better to receive a “P”.

What math credits do I need for the Neeley School?
MATH 10283 Applied Calculus is required for business majors. The prerequisite for MATH 10283 is MATH 10273 or Math 10054 with a grade of C or better, or high school pre-calculus and a score of 600 or higher on the SAT Math exam or 24 or higher on the ACT Math exam.

  • MATH 10524 Calculus I may also satisfy the business school math requirement
  • Credit will NOT be given for both MATH 10283 and MATH 10524
  • An AP score of 3, 4, or 5 in the Calculus AB exam is equivalent to Math 10524

What are the requirements for incoming transfer students?
Transfer Student Guide

What do I need to do to take a course at a university other than TCU?
Permission through the Transfer Credit Request process is required before you can take courses outside of TCU for credit transfer. Information can be found here.

How about a double major?
If it fits your academic interests or a specific career goal, we encourage you to explore other majors both within and outside of Neeley. Double majors are not for everyone, so make sure you discuss your options with your business advisor and the career center, as well as the department that you are interested in. Be aware that adding majors can sometimes affect graduation timeframes.

Can I graduate in 4 years?
TCU requires a minimum of 124 hours to earn a degree, so a degree is perfectly attainable by taking roughly 15 hours a semester. Included in this number are TCU core, business core, and major requirements. Adding a minor, second major (see above), or going abroad can increase your total units needed for graduation, so it is best to schedule an appointment with your advisor.

Can I take 18 hours?
Sometimes a student may be in a situation where he or she may want or need to take 18 hours. While we never recommend that a student take this load, we also understand that there are times when it is necessary. If you are a graduating senior and it is your last semester, you will need to get an academic overload form from the NAAC office and have it signed by your advisor. Otherwise, you will need to wait until the first day of class to enroll in more than 17 hours.

If I took a Lower Division Required (LDR) course at another university...
...does the grade count?
The grade will not count toward your official TCU GPA.  The grade will be used to calculate your LDR GPA.

I want to minor in Business.  Can I meet with an advisor in the Business School?
Contact the NAAC at 817-257-6772.  Here are the General Business Minor Courses

Questions on Enrollment -- How to add/drop/enroll in a course?
Click here for video tutorials

Enrollment Frequently Asked Questions

How do I change my major or minor?
Please go to the following website for directions: 
Click here for step by step video instructions

Group Advising

Group advising is mandatory for all students during their first four semesters here at TCU. Group advising is a 45-50 minute session where your Neeley advisors will go over important information to keep you on track in the business school. We’ll also work with you individually and help you create your schedule for the upcoming semester so you are in the correct courses you need.

What is group advising?
Group advising is a 45-50 minute session where your Neeley advisors will go over important information to keep you on track in the business school. We’ll also work with you individually and help you create your schedule for the upcoming semester so you are in the correct courses you need.

Do I need to schedule a 1 on 1 appointment with my advisor to get my classes for next semester?
No, group advising counts as your mandatory advising for the semester. You’ll leave group advising session with a list of the correct classes you need to register for and plenty of useful information.

Do I have to go to group advising? Can’t I just schedule an individual appointment?
Group advising is mandatory for your first four semesters. If you miss your session, you’ll have to wait until after your registration date to be advised and have your hold taken off. This will mean extremely limited class options for you whenever you are finally permitted to register.

Is there any way I can register before I am advised?
Advisors cannot and will not remove your advising hold before you are advised. The only way to get your advising hold off so you can register is to attend your advising session.

How do I sign up for group advising?
Stop by Tandy Hall 190 and sign up for a time. We have plenty of sessions to accommodate many different schedules.

Do I need to bring anything to group advising?
You’ll need to bring your laptop with your degree progress report saved on it. Also, please bring a pen to write with as well. Remember that if you show up without your laptop and/or printed degree progress report you won’t be allowed into the session and will have to reschedule.

Transfer Student Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get an appointment with an advisor?
Your advisor is happy to meet with you once you have been admitted as a Pre-Business major. Contact the Neeley Academic Advising Center at 817-257-6772 to schedule an appointment with your advisor.

I have been admitted as a pre-business major but have not made a final decision. How can I get more information?
Call 817-257-6772 and an academic advisor will be happy to discuss your questions and concerns.

I have made a final decision to transfer. How do I set up academic advising so I can enroll in classes?
Call 817-257-6772 and an academic advisor will be happy to discuss your questions and concerns.

How do I know which classes will transfer?
When TCU receives your transcripts and you are admitted, you will receive a form called an “Articulation.” This shows everything you have previously taken and how it counts at TCU. When meeting with your advisor, make sure you specify any courses that may be in progress and not yet on your articulation. Business courses are not automatically approved and may need a course syllabus to determine their equivalency.

Does my GPA transfer?
Your cumulative GPA from your previous institution does not transfer over to your TCU GPA. However, any LDR courses you have taken will be calculated internally into your LDR GPA for the Neeley admissions process.

When can I apply to the Neeley School of Business?
You can apply to the Neeley School the semester that you are finishing your LDR courses as long as you have at least a 2.5 LDR GPA and a 3.0 TCU Cumulative GPA. Remember, you must have ALL of your Pre-Business requirements complete by the end of the semester you apply or you may risk having your acceptance rescinded.

Do I have to go to orientation?
Orientation is strongly recommended. You will gain valuable information that will make your transition smoother. Also, you will not be able to register for classes until you meet with an academic advisor.

What if I want to double major?
You must complete your Lower Division requirements and be accepted into the Neeley School before you can officially declare one of the business majors. Once you are admitted into the Neeley School, your advisor will work with you to determine options if you are considering adding another major. Please be aware that as a transfer student, adding another major could delay your graduation date.