Professor of Operations Management
Information Systems and Supply Chain Management Department
- PhD, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- SM, SM, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- BS, Abilene Christian University
Areas of Expertise/Research
- Project management, Program management
- Product development and systems engineering processes
- Process modeling, analysis, and improvement, including Lean and Six Sigma
- Design structure matrix (DSM)
- Risk management
- “It Worked There, So It Should Work Here: Sustaining Change while Improving Product Development Processes,” Journal of Operations Management, 65(3): 216-241, 2019, with Shawn T. Collins.
- “Reducing Unwelcome Surprises in Project Management,” MIT Sloan Management Review, 56(3): 53-62, 2015, with Ranga V. Ramasesh.
- “Linking Cyclicality and Product Quality,” Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, 15(3): 473-491, 2013, with Manuel Sosa and Jürgen Mihm.
- Design Structure Matrix Methods and Applications, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2012, with Steven D. Eppinger.
- “A Survey of Activity Network-based Process Models for Product Development Project Management,” Production and Operations Management, 16(2): 217-240, 2007, with Ranga V. Ramasesh.
Honors and Awards
- Neeley School of Business 2013 Award for Distinguished Achievement as a Creative Teacher and Scholar
- MBA Core Teaching Award, 2007
- MBA Elective Teaching Award, 2015
- Neeley School Graduate Teaching Award, 2020
- Voted a “Favorite Professor” by the graduating MBA classes, 2013-2020