Professor of Operations Management
Information Systems and Supply Chain Management Department
- PhD, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- SM, SM, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- BS, Abilene Christian University
Areas of Expertise/Research
- Project management, Program management
- Product development and systems engineering processes
- Process modeling, analysis, and improvement, including Lean and Six Sigma
- Design structure matrix (DSM)
- Risk management
- Operations management
- “Is a College Education Still Enough? The IT-Labor Relationship with Education Level, Task Routineness, and Artificial Intelligence,” Information Systems Research, forthcoming, 2023, with Dawei (David) Zhang, Gang Peng, and Yuliang (Oliver) Yao.
- “Planning, Tracking, and Reducing a Complex Project’s Value at Risk,” Project Management Journal, 50(1): 71-85, 2019.
- “Building Models of Product Development Processes: An Integrative Approach to Managing Organizational Knowledge,” Systems Engineering, 21(1): 70-87, 2018.
- “A Conceptual Framework for Tackling Knowable Unknown Unknowns in Project Management,” Journal of Operations Management, 32(4): 190-204, with Ranga V. Ramasesh.
- “Linking Cyclicality and Product Quality,” Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, 15(3): 473-491, 2013, with Manuel Sosa and Jürgen Mihm.
- Design Structure Matrix Methods and Applications, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2012, with Steven D. Eppinger. Japanese edition (2014).
Honors and Awards
- Rob Rhodes Professor of the Year, 2021 (“The Neeley School’s highest internal recognition for sustained, high-quality institutional accomplishments in research, teaching, and service”)
- Neeley School of Business 2013 Award for Distinguished Achievement as a Creative Teacher and Scholar, 2013, 2023
- MBA Core Teaching Award, 2007
- MBA Elective Teaching Award, 2015
- Neeley School Graduate Teaching Award, 2020
- Voted a “Favorite Professor” by the graduating MBA classes, since 2013
- Co-Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Operations Management, 2018-2023
- 46 peer-reviewed publications in high-quality journals and 75+ other conference papers, book chapters, editorials, etc.
- Over 10,000 citations on Google Scholar
- Primary investigator on $300k grant funded by the Office of Naval Research
- Delivered over 200 academic and industry presentations and workshops in 17 countries
- Expert witness in legal proceedings